- Sensory Touch & Social Interaction
- A non-judgemental Encounter
- Happy Association in Familiar Surroundings
- Reminiscence – Especially for older generation
The benefits of interactions with therapy animals are now being recognised by growing numbers of specialists.
For individual cases, our ponies can be teamed with Occupational, Speech or Physical Therapists to set specific programs or goals, this can be as simple as inspiring a patient to reach out an arm or to walk with patients learning to use new equipment.
The interactions achieve positive outcomes and help to promote a good quality of life; the ponies may help to recall previous pets or experiences which creates a sense of calm & wellbeing.
Nursing Homes & Care Homes
We have witnessed the most withdrawn resident light up when a pony walks into a room, it really is magical.
Physical & Mental Disabilities
Enriching the Classroom Experience
Classroom visits stimulate learning!
Collytown Therapy ponies are wonderful resources for teachers to make learning fun in all subjects!
- Students with no exposure to animals or nature in their home environment can see, feel, touch and make connections to the wide world of animals.
- Instills a sense of responsibility and respect for life.
- The ponies brings increased sensitivity and awareness of the feelings and needs of others-both animals and humans.
- Students learn that all living things need more than just food and water for survival.
- Students will see directly how their behavior and actions affect others.
- Studies show that the presence of animals tends to lessen tension in the classroom.
- Students will approach learning subjects with a new enthusiasm and interest
Special Needs – There is actual scientific evidence that animals in the classroom can help students feel more comfortable in school.
Those with special needs or who attend special education schools may particularly benefit from the pony visit as it can help these students feel calmer and more confident as they learn, and reduce behavioural problems. Students may feel more motivated and animated to learn, particularly about subjects related to animals, science, and the environment, as the pony is a real-life example of what they are learning.
The ponies also often helps to draw socially withdrawn or anxious individuals out of their shells, as they can easily connect with an animal and use it as a basis for connection and conversation with other students and teachers.
- Example Visit:
- Introduction to the ponies and safety talk
- Educational talk linked to current curriculum or subject
- Meet the ponies
- Opportunity for everyone to touch & stroke
- Pony can be involved in class room activity
- Sticker game
- Chance to lead a pony
- Pony Dress up